Call for Papers
The Kenya School of Law is a public legal education provider responsible for the provision of professional legal training as an agent of the Government. The School is responsible for training of lawyers for entry into the legal profession; ensuring continuing professional development for all cadres of the legal profession; providing para-legal training; providing other specialized training in the legal sector; developing curricular, and training manuals; conducting examinations, conferring academic awards; and undertaking projects, research and consultancies in the field of law and related disciplines. The School is mandated to hold conferences on important matters relating to the rule of law, administration of justice and generally on legal issues.
The School now invites expression of interest from scholars, practitioners, judicial officers, in-house lawyers, social workers, students, regulatory institutions, policymakers, development partners, non-governmental organizations, other social scientists and professionals in public and private sector organizations to submit scholarly, well-researched papers for discussion during the inaugural Kenya School of Law Conference scheduled for 6-7 December 2018.
The Theme of the Conference is: Access to Justice and Development. Papers should cover one or more of the following sub-themes:
a) Gender Equity and Socio-Economic Development
- Gender, culture and social justice;
- Gender equity or gender parity: the implication of either;
- Impact of the Constitution of Kenya 2010 on the role of gender in development;
- Women in development.
b) Devolution and Decentralization of Functions & Services
- Impact of the Constitution of Kenya 2010 on delivery of services;
- Top-down Approach to Distribution of National Resources;
- Public Participation and its Effect on Public Governance;
- Devolution as a Tool for Socio-Economic Re-distribution;
- Threats to Achieving the Objectives of Devolution & Decentralization.
c) Corruption and its Impact on Sustainable Development
- Re-examining the Strategies for Ethical Leadership and Integrity;
- The Cost of Corruption to the Kenyan Tax Payer;
- Gaps in Legislation and Legal Processes Preventing Effective Anti-Corruption Strategies;
- Public Procurement: Procurement or Drainage of Public Funds?
d) Legal Aid Services
- The Role of the Legal Profession in Promoting Affordable Access to Justice;
- A comparative Analysis of Legal Aid in Kenya and Selected Commonwealth Jurisdictions;
- The Role of Law in Engineering Social and Economic Transformation;
- Disputes Resolution Methods and Impact on Legal & Social Justice.
e) Clinical Legal Education/Training
Submission of Abstracts: 30th September 2018
Draft Paper: 30th October 2018
Conference: 6th & 7th December 2018
Final Paper (for publication): 30th January 2019 Publication: 2019
An abstract should not exceed 350 words, and a draft paper should not exceed 6000 words. Final papers, not exceeding 6000 words, should be submitted in soft copy by 31st January 2019 after the Conference. Select papers will be published in the first edition of the Kenya School of Law Inaugural Conference Journal in 2019.
Abstracts and draft papers should:
- As much as possible be contextualized within the Theme of the Conference, i.e. Access to Justice and Development;
- Conform to academic citation standards; specifically, the Oxford Standard for Citation of Legal Authorities (OSCOLA);
- Utilise MS Word format, Font: Times New Roman 12, Line Spacing 1.5
Submissions should include the author’s full name, contacts, a declaration of originality and a statement that the author consents to the publication of the work. Authors should indicate whether the paper has been submitted for publication or published elsewhere. Acceptance of an abstract or draft paper is deemed to be an acceptance to publish the paper.
The expression of interest, Abstracts and Papers should be sent in soft copy to:
The Director/Chief Executive Officer
Kenya School of Law
P.O. Box 30369 Nairobi-00100
Abstracts to be received on or before 30th September 2018.
For any inquiries, please contact the Assistant Director, CPD, on: email@example.com
More information about KSL Conference is at KSL CONFERENCE CALL FOR PAPERS