CERTIFIED SECRETARIES (CS) COURSE APRIL 2023 INTAKE VIRTUAL CLASSES
1.0 COURSE OVERVIEW
The Kenya School of Law (the School) is a public institution established under the Kenya School of Law Act, 2012. The School is mandated under section 4(1) of the Act to be a public legal education provider responsible for the provision of professional legal training as an agent of the Government. In the exercise of this mandate, the School wishes to invite applications from qualified persons to pursue Foundational level of the Certified Secretary (CS) qualification.
The School is accredited by KASNEB to provide training leading to the award of the CS qualification upon passing the relevant KASNEB examinations. The course imparts knowledge, skills, values and attitudes, amongst other competencies. Upon successful completion the learner will be able to:
- Practise and promote principles of good governance within public and private sector entities;
- Implement and comply with legal, regulatory and ethical requirements in practice;
- Ensure proper conduct and management of meetings;
- Undertake consultancy and advisory services in corporate secretarial and related practices;
- Manage boardroom dynamics;
- Undertake governance and compliance audits.
Certified secretaries are expert practitioners in governance, governance audits and compliance, corporate secretarial practice, corporate law, consultancy and business management and administration. The course is aimed at persons who wish to qualify and work or practise as corporate secretaries, policy formulators and consultants in governance, governance and compliance auditors and administrators at county and national levels, and in the private sector.
Assessment is conducted in a variety of ways, including examinations, projects, and workshops attendance.
1.2 Minimum Entry Qualification
A person seeking to be registered as a student for the CS Course must show evidence of being a holder of one of the following minimum qualifications:
- Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) examination with an aggregate average of at least grade C+ (C plus) or its equivalent.
- Kenya Advanced Certificate of Education (KACE) with at least TWO Principal passes provided that the applicant has credits in Mathematics and English at Kenya Certificate of Education (KCE) level or equivalent qualifications.
- KASNEB technician, diploma or professional examination certificate.
- A degree from a recognized university.
- International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) examination grade C in 6 papers with C in both English and Mathematics.
- Such other certificates or diplomas as may be approved by KASNEB.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please note that the April 2023 in-take will only admit candidates pursuing the Foundational Course. The Intermediate and Advanced levels will be introduced in time so as to enable smooth progression by candidates who wish to progress.
The CS Syllabus was revised in July, 2021. The new syllabus is competence-based and helps to produce an all-round candidate compared to the older curriculum which was more knowledge-based.
2.1 Foundational Level
- Paper No. 1 – Management Principles & Practice;
- Paper No. 2- Communication Skills & Records Management;
- Paper No. 3 – Introduction to Law & Governance;
- Paper No. 4 – Principles of Accounting & Taxation;
- Paper No. 5 – Human Resource Management;
- Paper No. 6 – Information Communication Technology.
2.2 Intermediate Level
- Paper No. 7 – Company Law;
- Paper No. 8 – Public Sector Governance, Policy & Administration;
- Paper No. 9 – Meetings: Compliance & Administration;
- Paper No. 10 – Financial Markets & Specialized Institutions;
- Paper No. 11 – Corporate Governance & Ethics;
- Paper No. 12 – Research, Consultancy & Advisory.
2.3 Advanced Level
- Paper No. 13 – Strategic Management;
- Paper No. 14 – Finance for Decision-Making;
- Paper No. 15 – Governance & Compliance Audit;
- Paper No. 16 – Boardroom Dynamics.
3.0 FEE STRUCTURE AND DURATION
|LEVEL||COURSE DURATION||TUITION FEE (Kshs)||ONLINE FEE (Kshs)||SINGLE UNIT (Kshs)|
NOTE: The fee excludes the examination fee or any other charges payable to KASNEB.
4.0 MODE OF DELIVERY
The course will be delivered virtually between 1700hrs and 2000hrs on week-days. Specific timetable will be communicated by the School at the commencement of learning.
The commencement of classes is subject to the relevant School policies relating to quorum and, while the School believes that there will be sufficient number of students to commence classes as scheduled, the School reserves the right to adjust the commencement date on account of quorum, and any such decision shall be communicated to all candidates who have registered.
6.0 APPLICATION PROCESS
Before applying online for registration, the applicant must deposit application fee of shillings 2,000 to the account below. Registration for the course is by logging on to https://services.ksl.ac.ke/web/signup and signing up (for those without account), or signing in, for those who have already opened an account. Application fee and tuition fee should be deposited in the School’s account: (Account No. 202 2029 110 Absa Bank PLC, Absa Plaza Branch, Nairobi, Kenya) and the bank slip or evidence of RTGS transfer presented to the Finance Office at Gate C, for receipting.
The School Fees Policy applies to payment of fees for this course, as it applies to other courses.
The following documents should be sent separately by email to email@example.com ensuring that the email reference reads “APPLICATION FOR ADMISSION TO CS COURSE APRIL 2023”:
- copy of KCSE/KCE certificate;
- copies of relevant professional certificates and transcripts (where applicable);
- copy of national identity card/passport;
- a passport-size colour photograph with white back-ground;
- copy of bank payment slip showing payment of application fee. Your full name should appear on the slip;
- evidence of KASNEB registration.
The above documents should be received by the School not later than 7th April, 2023.
An application that is not accompanied by the required documents, or that is sent after the deadline for submission, shall not be accepted.
INQUIRIES: Please contact the Programme Coordinator, Mr. Isaac Kuloba, on firstname.lastname@example.org, Jacqueline email@example.com; or Christine firstname.lastname@example.org